Training Programme – Improving memory for success in terminal GCSE courses
11 June 2018
Many teachers and schools are grappling with changes to GCSE specifications . Not only do pupils now encounter harder content than ever before, but they are expected to remember and apply more of it. This development programme is designed to address this problem by looking at how the evidence from cognitive science can be used to improve teaching and learning at all ages and stages. We will investigate the implications this evidence has on lesson planning, curriculum design and revision timetables. Most importantly, the programme will provide you with the support you need to implement this evidence in your school or classroom so that it makes a profound difference the learning and outcomes of your students.
- Which teaching methods, using evidence from cognitive science, have been shown to improve memory retention and recall? How can better course and curriculum planning improve the depth and scope of student knowledge? What are the most effective revision strategies to teach our students?
This is a three day training programme:
Day 1 – 1 December 2017
- What is the problem we are trying to solve?
- What does the research say about the issue?
- How can we begin to mobilise this research in our different contexts?
- Plan the work that will be carried out back in schools.
Day 2 – 8 March 2018
- Review the mobilisation work that has been carried so far.
- Consider additional evidence to deepen our understanding of the issue.
- Evaluate the work we have carried out so far and refine our plans.
Day 3 – 11 June
- Consider how we can effectively evaluate the data we have gathered.
- Present the findings from the in-school work we have carried out.
- Plan our next steps so that we can widen the influence of our work.
Led by Andy Tharby & Chris Runeckles
Target audience: Secondary Curriculum Leaders & classroom teachers
Dates: 1 Dec, 8 March, 11 June (Each day will run from 10am – 3pm)
Venue: The Research Centre, Durrington High School, The Boulevard, Worthing, West Sussex BN13 1JX
Click here for online booking.
For further details please contact Lisa Edwards on email@example.comPosted on 11 September 2017
Posted in: Events, Training/CPD
Tags: Cognitive science, Memory, Terminal GCSE